In these previous 2 weeks, I was able to simulate a collection of blood pressure data and display the results on my screen. By simulating the data before integrating the real circuitry, I can debug my code and ensure the data is interpreted correctly in order to give the accurate reading. Although this is not real data as I hoped to accomplish this far into my project, it is a fundamental step to get where I need to be.
Upon research online, I found a way to calculate the systolic and diastolic pressure based on the output of the micro-controller. Micro-controllers are pieces of electrical equipment; therefore, they produce a voltage. Using a graph of voltage and pressure provided by the micro-controller company, I can convert the voltage produced to the pressure detected by the pressure sensor. This data is then transmitted to the program for further interpretation.
According to the research paper, the pressure detected by the micro-controller produces oscillations due to the electrical frequencies. At the oscillation's largest amplitude, or distance from adjacent valley to peak, is a term know as the maximum arterial pressure.
Once this frequency is filtered out, we can use the x value of the largest amplitude to determine the pressure, expressed on the filtered graph.
This pressure has a linear relationship with the systolic and diastolic pressure that can be expressed as:
- Ps is the pressure above Pm at which As/Am = 0.55
- Pd is the pressure below Pm at which Ad/Am = 0.85
In these past two weeks, I was able to develop an algorithm to find the maximum arterial pressure from a set of electrical data. In the next few days, I hope to further develop the algorithm to use this maximum arterial pressure and calculate, and display the systolic and diastolic pressures. Below is a simplified explanation of my code.
My only setback was during the building of my wireless blood pressure monitor. The pressure sensor and the cuff's tube did not fit into one another. I plan to order a piece of plastic that will help the two fit snugly, but until then I cannot build the electrical component of my project. However, I was able to overcome this setback by focusing on the programming rather than the circuitry. Like always, time is not my friend on this project. However, I have been dedicating 30 minutes to an hour everyday, and this time has been vastly beneficial to my progress.
After finalizing my algorithm and receiving the materials I need, I will build the blood pressure cuff. If building is successful, I can test my algorithm on real data and refine it for accuracy. My next goal for the next two weeks is improving the application's user interface to look more professional and user-friendly.
I learned so many new programming languages; just alone in these 2 weeks I picked up another programming language, Liberty BASIC, to build my algorithm. I also built upon my previous knowledge of computer science and used previous, simpler techniques to develop this complex algorithm. Through my research papers on oscillometry, I learned the potential of micro-controllers in the medical field. I learned that when I dedicate time, no matter how little, I am able to make significant progress. I learned I'm more capable In the past I have delayed my project because the tasks seemed so difficult and I didn't think I had enough time to accomplish them. However, by forcing myself to work on this project everyday, I realized small progress adds up to amazing products. I hope to apply this in other aspects of my life, especially in my studies. I tend to procrastinate when I'm overwhelmed with difficult work, but I hope with this project I start to dedicate a little time on all my difficult studies to achieve success over time.


Dear Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI really like your idea and admire the steps you are taking to complete it! Although I don't really understand how coding and circuitry work, it sounds like you are really making progress on creating your device. I too struggle with procrastination and I hope that, like you said, this project will help cure this problem. How expensive is your project to produce, and how much will the end product cost?
Good luck with your project!
Brandon W.
Your project sounds very complex and interesting. It seems like you are making a lot of progress towards your end goal and it's great that you are dedicating time towards your project everyday. Coding sounds very difficult but you seem to be very good at it. How will the heart monitor connect to the phone? Kevin S.
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah!
ReplyDeleteYour project in creating in app to determine someone's blood pressure sounds really cool. The fact that you worked to learn much of a new coding language in 2 weeks blows me away. I have never been a very tech-oriented person, but it sounds to me like, with all your time, effort, and skill, you'll definitely be able to have a finished product you're satisfied with. I couldn't think of anything to suggest, though I wonder if you've consulted any medical professionals for advice on your product, or how it could help patients know when to seek medical advice?
Good luck with your awesome project!
-Dorathy T.